A popular guide in the community,The Complete Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome offers an introduction and a deep dive into Asperger’s Syndrome (now rolled into an ASD I diagnosis). This is a great place to start if you are new to your autistic neurotype and are interested in a current clinical perspective.
Attwood is a practicing clinical psychologist and Associate Professor at Griffith University in Queensland. He is widely respected an one of the leading authorities on Asperger’s Syndrome.
Note: In keeping with Attwood’s perspective, this work explores autism as a “medical disorder”.
Chapters cover1From tonyattwood.com.au:
- causes and indications of the syndrome
- the diagnosis and its effect on the individual
- theory of mind
- the perception of emotions in self and others
- social interaction, including friendships
- long-term relationships
- teasing, bullying and mental health issues
- the effect of AS on language and cognitive abilities, sensory sensitivity, movement and co-ordination skills
- career development.
For more about Tony Attwood and his other works: